Tomatoes are one of the all-rounder fruits which are popularly used as a vegetable globally. Some people prefer eating it raw, while some like to prepare it with spices and vegetables. Tomatoes are enriched with carotenoids, which are basically nothing but phytochemicals that protect plants against sun rays, further inciting free radicals. In addition, these tomatoes are the major nutritious source of the antioxidant lycopene, which provides multiple health benefits such as reducing the risk of heart diseases and cancer. Similarly, grape tomatoes are a good source of fibre and are rich in Vitamin A and C, which improve skin health and protect against infection.
Tomatoes are filled with nutrients and antioxidants that help fight several diseases and keep your body in good shape. The percentage of water in tomatoes is approximately 95%, and the remaining 5% comprises carbohydrates and fibre. So you can add tomatoes to everything and anything, including ketchup, pickles, soups, salad, etc. But have you wondered what the benefits of eating this anti-oxidant-rich fruit are? Keep scrolling to find out more.
Health benefits of tomatoes
Tomatoes are a good source of multiple vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, and folate. Following are the advantages of eating tomatoes everyday:
Maintaining blood health-
According to research, a single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement and contains Vitamin A, potassium, and iron, crucial for maintaining normal blood health. In addition, vitamin K controls blood clotting, and bleeding and tomatoes help in blood circulation.
Reduces heart disease-
The lycopene content in tomatoes present protects individuals against cardiovascular diseases. In addition, consuming tomatoes regularly helps in reducing cholesterol levels and triglycerides in the blood that also helps in minimising fats in the blood vessels.
Consuming tomatoes daily can keep our digestive system healthy as it prevents both constipation and diarrhea. It also blocks jaundice and significantly removes toxins from the body.
Improves eye health-
Since tomatoes are enriched with lycopene, beta-carotene, and lutein, powerful antioxidants help protect eyes against light-influenced damage, prevent cataracts, and protect the body from age-related macular degeneration.
Improves skin health-
Collagen is an important component for skin, hair, nails, and connective tissue. Collagen production in the body depends on Vitamin C. An insufficiency of vitamin C can lead to scurvy. As Vitamin C is a powerful anti-oxidant and tomatoes are enriched with this component, consuming tomatoes every day can prevent individuals from wrinkles, blemished skin, sagging, and other skin health effects.
Controls blood sugar-
Tomatoes have content within named chromium, and this element helps control blood sugar levels in the body.
If you are on a diet, you can include tomatoes in your diet regime without any worry. It encourages amino acid production called Carnitine, which improves the body’s fat-burning ability to at least 30%.
Filled with Vitamin C, tomato juice is an ideal drink to boost your immunity level and provides instant stress relief. In addition, vitamin C helps control the increasing hormones in the body and keeps your body energised and healthy.
Tomatoes have a wealth of vitamin and mineral content, including calcium, potassium, phosphorus, etc. Consumption of tomatoes everyday will provide anti-inflammatory bodies and be extremely beneficial for overall heart and brain health. It is a good source of potassium and lowers increasing blood pressure in the body.
Thus, one can consume tomatoes every day, but before that, one must consult their doctor or dietician to have a clear idea about the benefits of this fruit/vegetable.