Mughlai Cuisine’s Hyderabadi Mutton Paya is a classic dish. One of the delicious meals prepared during Bakri Eid.
If you haven’t tried this delicious dish yet, now is the time. The flavour of Hyderabadi Mutton Paya will alter your perception of what it means to be delicious.
A simple and quick one-pot pressure cooker dish using onion, fragrant whole Indian spices, chillies, and ginger-garlic paste.
During Bakri Eid, practically every Muslim household prepares this dish. Those who make sacrifices receive the trotter and help prepare the meal.
Bakri Eid is observed for three days. During these three days, people offer their sacrifices according to their schedules.
This is a recipe that attracts people. We generally cook this meal on the second day and invite our family and friends.
The recipe for Mutton Paya varies depending on where you live. Some prepare it after smoking the trotters, others use tomato, and still, others make it in a thin consistency similar to soup.
- 750 gm Trotters & Mutton
- 5-6 pcs Onion (chopped)
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 4-5 pcs Clove
- 3 Green Cardamom pods
- 3 Black Cardamom pods
- 6-8 pcs Peppercorns
- 2 pcs Star Anise
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 2 Glass water
- Take a cooker and pour oil into it. Heat the oil over a medium flame. When it’s heated, add the onion slices. Saute it until it softens
- For an aromatic flavour, add black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, star anise, whole peppercorns, cloves, and cumin seeds. Combine everything well
- Add the garlic and ginger pastes, as well as the goat trotters and mutton. Cook for 5 minutes with the lid open
- It’s now time to add the spices. To taste, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Combine everything well. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the spices are well combined with the mutton
- Fill it with water. Finally, shut the cooker cover. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes
- The spicy and exquisite Hyderabadi Mutton Paya is ready to serve
- Garnish with green chilli, coriander leaves, and ginger slices if desired