If you’re looking for a simple Indian chicken recipe for beginners, try this easy recipe of Chicken Masala. This Masala Chicken pairs well with roti and rice. Serve this delicious chicken dish with salad and raita for a complete meal. The main secret to the deliciousness of this masala chicken is the proper frying of the spices or masala.
Because it is a decadent dish, it makes use of a little more oil than usual. Chicken cooks quickly, so be careful not to overcook it or it will fall off the bones and mix with the gravy. The slow frying method works best in this recipe.
- 750 gm chicken
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 cup minced tomato
- 2 cup chopped onion
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 inches cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon kastoori methi powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup water
- Some coriander leaves
- Salt as required
- To begin preparing Masala Chicken, thoroughly wash the chicken under running water. Now immerse it in warm salted water for 10 minutes before washing it again. This facilitates the removal of the chicken odour.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is heated enough, add the bay leaves, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir-frying for a minute, then add the sliced onions. Cook until the onions are pink. After that, add the ginger-garlic paste. Fry for a minute before adding the chicken pieces. Cook the chicken for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt to taste. Stir thoroughly combine all of the ingredients with the chicken. Cook for a minute before adding the finely chopped tomatoes and green chilies (slit and halved). Reduce the heat to low and cook for 6-7 minutes covered, then uncovered, until the chicken is browned.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and soft. Cook on high heat until the oil separates, then remove the lid and garnish with garam masala powder, coriander leaves, and kastoori methi powder. Masala Chicken or Chicken Masala is done.
Serve with naan, rice, or roti.