Handi Chicken Masala is a delicacy in Azamgarh. This traditional recipe is known for the rich and spicy flavour of Indian spices. This recipe is served in the Handi after it is cooked in a sealed earthen pot for 5 minutes. The dum for 5 minutes give this recipe earthy flavour which makes it a unique dish cooked in traditional style.
This recipe is cooked in mustard oil over an open flame compared to other dishes which are cooked over the gas stove. The unique cooking style enriches this recipe with an earthy and smoky flavour that is a delicacy to many food lovers in India. If you haven’t tried this recipe yet, here is your opportunity to make a homemade Azamgarh special handi chicken recipe.
- 750 gms chicken
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cup red onion paste
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chicken masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder for rich colour
- 1 cup mustard oil
- 4-5 green chilli
- 4-5 dried red chilli
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 2-3 black cardamom
- 1-2 stick cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 star anise
- Pure ghee
- Finely chopped green chilli & coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Take a cooking pot and place it over an open fire made out of wood
- When the pot gets hot add mustard oil and heats it for 5 minutes
- After that add a cup of water to the oil which will subdue the smell of mustard oil
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise, clove, green, and dried red chillies to the oil and heat the mixture until the spices get brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste to the mixture along with turmeric powder, chicken masala, and chilli powder to the pot and stir it well.
- After 5-10 minutes add onion paste to the mixture and stir it well until the spices are cooked properly (mixture will be brown and oil will get separated from the spices)
- Add chicken to the mixture and cook the dish for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is properly cooked over high flame
- Take the cooked dish in an earthen pot and add 1 teaspoon ghee, finely chopped green chilli, and coriander leave and cover it with aluminum foil (it can be sealed by other means as well for dum). Then put the pot on heat for 4-5 minutes and your recipe is ready to be served.
Azamgarh special handi chicken masala dish is well served with naan (plain/butter/garlic). It can also be used in making dum biryani or served along with biryani.