Ear infection can be caused by bacteria or viruses in the middle ear and is more common in children then adults. The most common signs include: pain in the ear, tugging at the ear, difficulty sleeping, headache, poor response to sounds, high fever, fluid draining from the ear, vomiting, diarrhea etc.
Our ear is made up of three parts: outer, middle and inner.
Each part has its own specific functions that help a person hear. The outer ear is leaf-shaped and it captures the traveling sound waves. There is a section called as pinna in the outer part of our ear, and through this section the sound waves enter into the ear canal. Then, the sound waves through the ear canal reach the eardrum which is located in the middle part. The other important ear organs in the middle ear include: hammer, anvil, stir up, semicircular, and middle canal. Sound waves travel to the inner section of our ear through the canal. There are important ear parts in the inner part of the ear: cochlea, Eustachian tube, and nerves. Sound waves from the canal are sent to the nerves .Our brain processes the sound that it gets from the nerves. After that, we are able to recognize the sound and understand it.
Ear infection can appear in every part of the ear. The most serious infections happen to the inner ear. Numerous complications like damaging or rupturing the ear drum can be prevented with the help of various treatments. Chronic recurrence and even deafness can appear because of untreated ear infections! Every ear infection is painful, so it’s extremely important to visit a doctor, but you can also try some natural treatments at home! Here are some home remedies that will help you get rid of the pain and treat the ear infection!
These are the top 10 remedies for ear infection:
Salt is something we all have at home. Here’s how the preparation process goes:
- Heat up one cup of salt on a pan over low heat for several minutes. You can also heat it in a microwave or double-boiler.
- Place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end.
- When it is warm, put the salt on the ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this as many times as you need during the day. The heat will help you draw out any fluid from your ear, but also stop the swelling and the pain.
- One cup of rice can serve you as an alternative for the salt.
Garlic possesses anti-inflammatory properties which make it very effective against pain. Garlic can be used to treat ear infections in several ways:
- Prepare garlic oil by cooking two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Strain the solution. When it is bearably hot, use two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
- You can also boil two or three fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes, then crush them and add some salt. Put the mixture in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
- Another thing you can do is consume two to three cloves of raw garlic a day. It will also help you speed up the healing process.
Basil is powerful in the reducing of infections and stopping pain.
- Extract some juice from five fresh basil leaves. Put the juice around the ear, but make sure you don’t get juice inside the ear!
- Mix several drops of basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil like coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and gently wipe the inside of your ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat this process twice a day.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
When the ear infection is caused by fungus then the best option is apple cider vinegar.
- Just mix one part of apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water or alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Put this cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it inside for about five minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side to drain the liquid from the ear. Use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
5. Olive Oil
If the Eustachian tubes are blocked because of more wax in the ear, you can clean this with olive oil! Here’s how:
- Warm some olive oil. Put several drops of the warm oil into the infected ear.
- The wax will then soften. Remove the infected wax.
- You can also use mustard oil in the same way as olive oil.
6. Warm Water Bottle
Heat will relieve some of the pain quickly, but it will also prevent micro-organism infestation.
- Put a warm water bottle or heating pad against the ear.
- You can also use a warm compress. Dip a clean washcloth in lukewarm water, ring out the excess water and then place the washcloth on the infected ear.
- Do not put heat too long! Start with five minutes and after that remove it. Wait for a while and put it again.
Onion can be used to treat an ear infection.
- Put one chopped onion in the microwave for one to two minutes. Leave it to cool down and then strain out the onion juice. Put two to three drops of the juice in the infected ear, leave it for a while and then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
- You can also bake an onion for half an hour, cut it into halves and put one half in a thick cotton cloth. Put the cloth on the infected ear for five minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and then repeat the whole process.
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil possesses mild antibacterial properties. They will give you instant relief from earache.
- Put three drops of tea tree oil, two tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Then, warm the mixture a little bit.
- Put the mixture in the ear and leave it for 5 minutes. Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely.
- Repeat this two to three times a day for two days.
9. Mango Leaf Juice
The mango leaf extract is a quick and effective treatment. Here’s how:
- Crush or grind two to three soft mango leaves to extract the juice. Slightly warm the juice.
- Put three to four drops of the juice into the infected ear with the help of a dropper. You will feel relief from the pain within several minutes.
- Use this remedy two to three times a day for full relief from ear infection.
10. Breast Milk
Breast milk is full of natural antibodies that can help you speed up the healing process of any kind of ear infection. It will alleviate swelling and discomfort and you’ll be able to get rid of an ear infection within one or two days. This remedy is excellent for both children and adults.
- Put several drops of breast milk into the affected ear with a dropper.
- Repeat the process every few hours as needed.
- Breast milk also can be used to treat eye infections, minor cuts and minor burns.
These are some of the home remedies that will help you treat minor ear infections, but if the condition doesn’t pass, make sure you visit a doctor!